Living Green in Long Beach
- Unplug electronics when not in use. Splurge for a power strip, this makes turning off electronics quick and easy
- Change all of the light bulbs in your home/dorm to CFL’s. They are more eco friendly, and they last longer. Plus, they use 66% less energy than incandescent light bulbs
- Cut water use by installing sink aerators and low-flow shower heads. Make sure you turn off the water when you brush your teeth, this can waste around 3-5 gallons of water
- Buy ENERGY STAR qualified products whenever possible, they are 40% more energy efficient
- Air dry dishes instead of using the drying cycle
- Hang dry clothes instead of using a dryer. Not only does this save energy, but it can also make your clothes last longer
Looking to offset your carbon footprint while living in the dorms? Click here
Calculate your carbon footprint here!
Another resource to help you calculate your carbon footprint
For infomation about the carbon footprint of our food choices, view this presentation
Visit the CSULB Sustainability website.
Interested in what ECO friendly activities and resources are available in the city of Long Beach? Check out this link.
Want to take a free compost class in Long Beach? Take a look at the City of Long Beach’s Environmental Services Bureau website.
For up to date information on green themed events going on in the area, visit the City of Long Beach Office of Sustainability Events Calendar
Feeling artsy? Visit the Long Beach Depot for Creative Reuse before you begin your next project to get some unique and recycled supplies!
Get more involved in the community by participating in Green Long Beach!
Interested in learning about water conservation efforts in the city and how you can get involved? Check out the Long Beach Water Department website.
Hungry? Visit these local, eco friendly, and delicious restaurants in Long Beach!
Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe
Viento y Agua Coffeehouse