1. Are you comfortable using the internet, email and the other computer applications associated with the program?
You need to be able to use the internet and other necessary computer applications to be able to use this study method but you don’t need to be an expert in computers just basic knowledge is enough.
2. Do you have a reliable internet connection?
It is required that you have a reliable internet connection to help you manage the program. At times, the internet connection may fail and you need to have a back up plan in these times. Probably a local internet café would be of use at such a time.
3. Do you enjoy studying on your own?
Learning online is great for people who enjoy studying on their own. If you cannot learn by yourself then you might find it hard working with this program.
4. Do you have the time and energy to commit to the online studies?
The online courses require a person to be able to work independently on their own at their own convenient time. If you cannot get sufficient time, to commit to your online studies then this may not be the program for you.
You need to be able to manage time well. This includes having time to read your materials, attend discussion groups, meetings etc. you also have to be able to manage between your daily schedules and the online course.
6. Do you have a flexible schedule?
If you can effectively manage between your other commitments and family obligations and get time for the online course then it is the program for you.
7. Are you comfortable in asking for assistance from your instructor or peers?
In the csulb online course, you will encounter material that you may find difficult. You should be able to contact freely your instructor or peers on a regular basis.
8. Are you a good reader and do you enjoy text based learning?
Most of the material that you will use in the learning program is text based. Therefore, you should be able to understand the college level material and be comfortable using the text based programs although sometimes the course involves some audiovisual learning.
9. Are you able to motivate yourself to achieve your goals?
Since you are learning independently, you should be able to push yourself to learn and meet set targets. Remember that there is no teacher or other students to push you.
10. Is there a csulb online course that you are interested in taking?
After you have answered all the above questions, you need to find out if there is an online course offered in your discipline that you might be interested in taking. The online courses an increasing with each day and there are courses offered in a variety of disciplines.